“God’s Freedom to Rattle our Definitions”
May 16, 2010 Acts 11:1-18 Play
(mp3) Play VIDEO (320x240 wmv, 218
TEMPTED TO MAKE SUPERFICIAL DISTINCTIONS
• are there any different ‘types’ of people that
rankle you - whether different nationality, personality, etc.? Have you
found it makes a difference once you really get to know someone who at
first seems very different?
“EXPLAIN YOURSELF, PETER!”
• can you recall a time someone’s unjustified
accusation stung you? Were you able to forgive them or convince them
• Peter identified at least 7 factors that showed
this was God’s doing. Can you recall a time when circumstances or
direct spiritual communication assured you God was guiding a particular
• what are some areas today in which church folk may
find it hard not to become legalistic? Why do you think it is so
difficult not to become judgmental toward others?
• in what areas do you feel church leadership should
exercise MORE discipline, if any?
IF NOT WHAT’S KOSHER, THEN WHAT COUNTS?
• in what areas have you felt inferior or
poorer-scoring compared to other Christians? Can you find reassurance
in the Gospel despite your shortcomings?
• how would you sum up the ‘goalposts’ for you
currently in the Christian life? Have these changed over the years?
• “what counts is a new creation / faith expressing
itself through love”: when has someone else’s showing this been a
blessing to you? To whom can you pass that on?
NOTHIN’ AGAINST NOBODY
• can you think of an example of love (romantic or
otherwise) making a dramatic positive change in someone’s life?
• “I ain’t got nothin’ against nobody.” Is this true
for you? Whom do you need to forgive?