“Quenching Quarrels, Upholding Unity”
Jan.16, 2011 1Cor.1:10-17 Play
(mp3) Play VIDEO (320x240 wmv, 218
THE CHURCH OF “US ONLY”
• divisions in church at Corinth based on various
• Paul: old-timers / charter members
• Apollos: appealed to intellectuals
• Cephas: Judaizers / legalists
• differences of style, worship music, theology
WHO’S ON TOP?
• God makes things grow; bought us at a price -
• live for Him (who died for us) not for ourselves
• boy had to learn to accept dentist’s authority
WHO’S MY BACKER?
• Christ (not Paul) crucified for us; we received His
• can’t be bought - just have to ask
WHENCE TRUE POWER?
• don’t empty Christ’s cross of its power; faith to
rest on God’s power shown in Jesus crucified
• prince of this world driven out when Son of Man
• dying woman related, not to Jesus as ‘example’, but
dying for her
WHAT’S MY SECURITY?
• all things are yours – and you are Christ’s
• God will graciously give us all things along with
His own Son
• work more productively when assured of safety
CLOSENESS THROUGH THE CROSS
• comfort in cross – Jesus knows what we’re going