“Fanatical Obedience, Final Authority”
April 25, 2010 Acts 5:27-42 Play
(mp3) Play VIDEO (320x240 wmv, 218
CHALLENGING AUTHORITY A POPULAR PASTIME
• What authorities do you most often hear grumbled
about? Choose one item to pray for an authority in that area and thank
God for that authority’s oversight.
• What evidence, if any, do you see of tendencies
toward increasing rebellion / anarchy? What can our church do help
fight Paul’s list in 2Tim 3:2ff?
WHOSE AUTHORITY? CONSPIRE OR COMPLY
• (review) How do we know authority was a key issue
in Peter’s interaction with the religious leaders?
• In your own experience, can you think of someone
who seemed to exude godly authority resulting from time spent with
Jesus? (Acts 4:13)
• What role does quoting Scripture play in the
church’s praying with authority? (Acts 4:25f) Have you tried praying
• Which of the marks of authority (boldness,
fellowship, fear, miracles, freedom) do you sense is most lacking in
today’s church - at large? our own congregation? What gets in the way
• Share any examples you can think of when one of
these factors WAS exhibited. Praise God for it!
• Why do we become tongue-tied when there’s an
opportunity to declare the roots of Christian authority? Spend some
time praying for boldness (like the early church).
AUTHORITY’S OBJECTIVE: REVERING HIM, REVAMPING US
• What managers / bosses have you had, if any, who
typified authority that served rather than ‘played the heavy’? What
effect did they have on the workplace?
• Where you are now, this week, which benefit do you
feel most in need of? (repentance - forgiveness - Holy Spirit - sense
of being valued/worthy) Can someone pray for you in that regard?
SEW ON FIRE
• Ms. Hagar admitted “I hate sewing” nevertheless God
has used her mightily. In what areas of your life do you sense God is
at work, notwithstanding your lack of ability / prowess?
• Is there currently a mercy-ministry of any kind
pressing on your heart that others in your group might also be feeling
led to help out with?